15Th June 2018 : Daily Current Affairs - UPSC CSE/IAS & State PSC

This page contains "15th June 2018" current affairs analysis from different newspapers and magazines like the hindu, indian express, PIB and yojna.

Quality and relevance are two key features considered while writing the content, all the topics are based on the pattern of previously asked questions in exams like UPSC CSE, IAS, State PCS, SSC, Banks PO and like wise competitive exams.




1) Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA)

Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA)

The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) (The largest astronomical project in existence) is an astronomical interferometer of radio telescopes in the Atacama Desert of northern Chile. ALMA is expected to provide insight on star birth during the early universe and detailed imaging of local star and planet formation.

ALMA is an international partnership among Europe, the United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Chile.

Atcama is so chooses as a site because of its high and dry atmosphere, which is best suited for operations of radiation at millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths.

Atacama Desert

Atacama Desert the driest place on earth stretched from southern peru to northern chile, includes Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile.


What makes Atacama so dry:

1) Atcama, sits to the wrong side of Andies, the south-north trade winds carrying moisture are forced to rise that gives Atcama rain shadow effect.

2) Humboldt current, a cold water current passes near Atkama, this prevents adjoing wind from picking up moisture from the oecean.

3) Atcama,comes under high pressure system; Here wind desends, this makes it impossible to form clouds.

2) Swajal Scheme for Aspirational districts

Swajal Scheme

Swajal Scheme, in launched by Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation, in 115 aspirational districts to provide clean drinking water. Rs. 700 crores are to be invested in the scheme through flexi-funds under existing National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP).

Under the scheme 90% of project cost is borned by the Government and remaining 10% is contributed by beneficiary community.

Tmplementation and management of the project is to be done by local villagers. The scheme will provide piped water supply harnessing solr power to the villages and hundreds of village technitians will be trained to maintain Swajal Units.

Aspirational districts

NITI Aayog on behalf of Indian Government has selected 115 aspirational (backward) districts on six socio-economic parameters, related to health and nutrition, education, financial inclusion and skill development, agriculture and water resources.

The initiative is part of government's vision to create 'New India' and aims a rapid transformation of these districts by 2022. It included districts from LWE (Left wind extremist) and Terrorist affected state like Jammu & Kashmir.

The government will leverage Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs), aided by technology to bring radical transformation of these inspirational districts.

Test Your preparation with: 15 Jun, 2018 | Current Affairs multiple choice questions

Share your suggestions, ideas, inputs on the topics discussed above. Its always good to be interactive ! :)