UNESCO's list of World Network of Biosphere Reserve (WNBR)

Khangchendzonga reserve is included as the 11th reserve to UNESCO's list of World Network of Biosphere Reserve (WNBR). Other biospheres such as Nandadevi, Simlipal Biosphere reserve, Nilgiri etc are already in the list.

Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve

Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve is one of the highest ecosystems in the world having a range of ecoclines varying from subtropical to arctic. The biosphere also includes a vast natural forests in different biomes to support an immensely rich diversity of forest types and habitats.

India now have 11 out of total 18 biosphere reserves in the list of internationally designated WNBR.

86 per cent of the core area of Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve covering the southern and central landscape is situated in the Greater Himalayas while remaining 14 per cent area of northern part is situated in trans-Himalayas.

Khangchendzonga National Park was also designated as a World Heritage in 2016 under the "mixed" category. The area consists of 118 species of medicinal plants.

World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR)

World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR) under UNESCO, are internationally designated biosphere reserves that encourage sustainable development and demonstrate a balanced relationship between people and nature.

The World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR) mission works towards integration of people and nature for sustainable development and encourages societies to cope with climate change.

The network uses certain tools like participatory dialogue, knowledge sharing, poverty reduction, human well-being and cultural values to integrate people and nature in a harmonious manner.

Share your suggestions, ideas, inputs on the topics discussed above. Its always good to be interactive ! :)