Centre has recently announced 6 universities in the list of Institutions of Eminence (IoE). There were three
categories under which institutions could apply: the public institutions, the already existing private institutions and
the greenfield institutions.
1) Public institutions : 1) Indian Institutes of Technology, Mumbai 2) Indian Institutes of Technology, Delhi,
3) Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru.
2) Already existing private institutions: 4) Manipal Academy of Higher Education, 5) BITS, Pilani
3) Greenfield institutions: 6) Jio Institute of the Reliance Foundation.
The Centre is planning to offer the coveted status to 10 government and 10 private institutions,
to enable them to break into the world's top 500 in a decade and into the top 100 after that.
As per MHRD, A Letter of intent (LoI) will be issued to greenfield category's institutions requiring them
to start academic operations within three years for the IoE (institute of eminence) status to become operational.
If their progress was not satisfactory, the empowered committee could recommend the cancellation of the status.
Benefits for Institutions of Eminence (IoE)
Institutions having coveted status will get following benefits:
1) The "coveted status" will enable selected universities to be free from regulations of the AICTE,
UGC, or the Higher Education Commission of India (UGC).
2) Institutions will be able to admit 30% foreign students with no restrictions on fees charged from
them and can hire foreign faculty up to 25% of the total faculty.
3) Listed institutions will be able to enter into academic collaborations with the top 500 global
universities without UGC approval.
4) These Institutions will have full flexibility in evolving curricula and syllabi.
5) 10 public institutions out of total 20 (10 Public + 10 Private) will get assistance of up to 1000 crore
rupees over five years.
An empowered committee headed by former Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami has recommended these
institutions. Institutions not listed in this list of 6, can apply again till the committee finalises 10 public and 10
IISc was ranked first in the all-India NIRF rankings of the Centre in 2018, this list of Institutions of
Eminence (IoE), is not a replica of all-India NIRF rankings. IIT Madras, ranked second could by NIRF could not place
a place in the list yet.